Depending on where your properties are located, you may find yourself spending weeks preparing them for the cold winter months. Even those in more temperate climates will need to do some basic housekeeping in order to keep maintenance calls in check.
Here are a few preparation tips for your property as winter approaches.
• Have a ready supply of ice melting products on hand.
• Tune-up the snow blower to ensure it will function properly before use.
• Disconnect and drain outdoor hoses in order to prevent pipes from freezing.
• Service any working fireplaces prior to burning a fire. Check the flue for proper ventilation.
• Inspect the current heating system in your rentals for potential problems.
• A solid inspection of the property should also be done at this time to check for leaks and drafts that may need additional insulation.
• Change air filters and the batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
Provide your residents with a handy winter preparation checklist that they can refer to. The list makes it easier for residents to remember what needs to be done, and they can check off the item once it’s completed. This makes for more satisfied residents and a well-maintained property.